Thursday, August 26, 2010

Not your kid's treehouse.

A picture from the first time I read about Portaledges.
Basic tree tent
I have the weirdest fascination with tree houses. That might be why my current dream project is a community of vacation homes based on sustainable no-impact living and suspended in trees. Since my admiration of livable tree houses has grown so has my collection of books based on the topic. Currently, my favorite author for this subject is Peter Nelson, author of both Home Tree Home Principles of Treehouse Construction and Other Tall Tales and The Treehouse Book. My mom also bought me a book containing varied tree house styles called The Treehouse Book by Candida Collins. (I had no idea tree house was actually one word, the things you learn.) I was dismayed to find a resort in the hills of Andalucia called the Tarifa Eco Lodge. However, the houses are totally not treehouses! They are houses on stilts. My lodges are going to be sustainable tree suspended houses with most of the comforts of home. I want to structure the sight like a camp ground. Smaller more tent like dwellings that are seasonal, to larger permanent footprint houses that are for sale. The tent dwellings are inspired by the below pictures. The same idea that is used by rock climbers to set up camp balancing off a sheer rock wall called a portaledge. I thought this URL was entertaining since I know 80% of the people who have heard my idea feel the same way, http://www.his.com/~pshapiro/sleepcomfortably.html. And in the same regard it's sad to know that if I am ever able to accomplish this my parents (at least my mom) will never dare to go in them. I've lost my sketches and notes on my idea but once I find them I'll post.

No comments:

Post a Comment